The Epic Mahabharata - Adi Parva - Written Episode 6

  

                        MAHABHARATA


                                ADI PARVA


                                     Written Episode 6

Devavrata, in his horse, he went to Satyavati’s house and said, “Come out, oh man!Who made my father sad!” Satyavati’s father  went to see who was shouting. To his surprise, he saw Prince Devavrata.  He joined his hands and gave him greetings and said, “Oh Prince, what happened?” “Why you are not giving your daughter to my father?”  “You will quarrel about the throne with your brothers. You are fit to be the king. So my daughters sons will not become the king. ”

 

“I will not become the king.” said Devavrata.


“Prince if you do not become the king, then your sons can take the throne and Satyavati’s sons can’t because of the low cast. And, finally, Satyavati’s sons will not get the throne.” This pained Devavrata very much in his heart.

“From today onwards,  I vow that I will not become the king nor marry in any circumstances! I will not marry nor have any kids! This is my vow!” said Devavrata. “Long live Bhishma! Long live Bhishma!” This sound came from heavens. Bhishma means ‘terrible’. As Devavrata took a terrible vow, he was called Bhishma. With respect, everyone called him as Bhishmapithamaha. Flowers showered on Bhishma.

The Trinity or Trimurti, Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh, everyone blessed him.



Thus, Satyavati was married to Shantanu. “Son, why have taken a big vow? I am ashamed of myself.”, asked Shantanu to his son. Bhishma said, “Father, I done everything for you only.”  Then in the tears of joy Shantanu hugged Bhishma. Soon Satyavati became a well-respected queen of Hastinapur.





 














 

 

 

 


Comments